26 February 2012

Nacho Libre (2006)


          Essential plot rundown:  A Monk struggles to choose between the monastery and the lucha libre.  The first time I watched this, I thought it was really stupid.  But I've seen it a couple of times since and it is really funny.  I guess it kind of grows on you.

          The humor in this movie is different.  It is definitely not for everyone.  I'm not even sure how to describe it.  But, for me it works.  However, there are a few instances where they used fart jokes/potty humor.  I'm not a big fan of that kind of that kind of humor.  And when if was used, it felt like they were dumbing down the movie.

          Jack Black does a really good job.  Him, his accent, the way he says his lines are all funny.  One thing that I liked about it was the fact that he toned down his "Jack Blackness" a little.  In a lot of his movies, he acts really crazy and what not.  But in Nacho Libre, not so much.  However, there were a few parts where Nacho starts singing and he unleashes some of his "Jack Blackness" (I'm pretty sure that's a real word).  He stars singing like the lead singer of Tenacious D and it really distracts from the character.  One minute you're watching Nacho and the next you're watching Jack Black.

          I really like the color of this film.  A lot of the shots were just cool looking.  The colors looked a little desaturated.  The whole film had an interesting look to it.  I liked it.

          So, overall, this is a funny, well made movie.  I thought all of the actors did a good job and the story didn't suck.  (I couldn't think of a synonym for "good", so my roomate suggested "didn't suck").  Though, I liked it, it is not for everyone.  This isn't a real intelligent review, but that's all you're getting.



     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment